at the end of text. Links to videos after photographs)
Prog. Consultant, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
Formerly, Scientist-In- Charge,
Radiocarbon Lab., Birbal Sahni Instt. Palaeosciences, Lucknow.
Basically a physicist, Dr. Chandra Mohan Nautiyal
evolved into a specialist in isotopes and applied them to studies in Earth & Planetary science as well as in Archaeology.
Apart from being known as an expert in radiocarbon dating and heading that laboratory at Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeosciences (earlier Palaeobotany ) for a decade, he is well known as a science communicator and also has wide and long experience in teaching. He is acclaimed as a good teacher on various aspects of science and
science communication having lectured in 20 states/ UTs in India and also several countries to a wide spectrum of audience.
However, he has shown versatility in subjects, approaches, as well as capabilities. Besides having been a recognised practicing scientist, he is also known for his contributions to theory and practice
of science communication and has received invitations on international fora for that. In addition, he has excellent experience in organising science programmes for the young, the old, the ametures and the professionals.
After early education and BSc Hons. Physics (I position in Phys Hons in college) from Meerut, he took masters degree in Physics from
IIT Roorkee (then UoR) following it with Doctoral and postdoctoral research at the prestigious ISRO lab - the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad. Won several scholarships and fellowships
viz. Merit (twice), national scholarship, doctoral and post-doctoral fellowships at PRL, Ahmedabad, International Travel award of US $ 1600 from the Meteoritical Soc., USA, and later INSA -DFG fellowship for research at the famous Max Planck Institutes at
Heidelberg and Mainz, in Germany. In addition to having an excellent and throughout first class career, he earned recognition, as an all-round talent, that included: Best Boy, GIC, Meerut; Gen Secy., Phys. Asso. and Best
debator at DNPG College; Jt Secy. Phys and Cultural Soc at UoR (IIT-R), Editor of the school, college- & university- magazines. He was also President's Scout. Also excelled in sports at school, college and university level
being Captain of teams.
He has had good international
exposure. He was a scientific collaborator in a Lunar & Planetary Science project to study Moon samples brought by Apollo missions by NASA during 1978-1985 during
his PRL days. In addition to visits to many institutions in France and UK. He has also been twice to Russia and Germany each, and to Vietnam, USA, Switzerland, South Africa- mostly on invitation & with full support, where he interacted with scientists and/ or delivered lectures/ presented papers. These include Univ. California-SD
and Univ of New Mexico (USA); Max Planck Instt., Heidelberg and Univ of Koln (Germany); Univ. Bern, Switzerland; and also in conferences/ dialogues in Los Alamos; Albuquerque; Grasse (France); Moscow; Ho-Chi-Minh (Vietnam) and Gauteng (South Africa). He has
been a guest at/ visited University of Missourie, Rolla; Washington University, St. Louis; ETH, Zurich; CEREGA, Nice; Universite de Paris campuses; Observatoire de Meudon and Heidelberg University.
Out of sheer interest in art and culture, in addition to exhibitions/ galleries/ museums in India, has visited many science and art museums and galleries aborad like British Museum of Natural History; Aircraft Museum, Frankfurt; Mainz Museum; Gutenberg Museum (Mainz); Deutches Museum, Munich; Muse' de L'Homme and Louvre
Museum, Paris & Tretykov Art Gallery, Moscow as well as exhibitions in Koln, New York, Cannes, Nice.
He specialised in isotopic measurements employing isotope mass spectrometry, radioactive counting, Ultra
High Vacuum technology, etc. for addressing planetary sci.-, palaeoclimate- and archaeology- problems. For a decade, he headed the most prolific radiocarbon dating lab of the country. Some major conclusions
from these 2 approaches include distinct isotopic identities of Solar Wind and Solar Energetic Particles. He has been involved in studies and published results on the climate changes during the past few thousand years in the NE
India, Shivaliks and in Gangetic plane, and chronology of several archaeological sites in Gujarat, Himachal and Uttar Pradesh.
has contributed over 130 research papers/ short papers/ abstracts to many prestigious international journals and conferences like Astrophysical J., Curr.
Sci., Earth & Planetary Sci. Lett., The Holocene, ICRC, Meteoritics, Proc. LPSC i.e. Suppl. to GCA & JGR; Lunar & Planetary Science, Meteoritics,
GRL; Natural Hazards, Palynology & Quat. Intl. He has lectured at universities and various institutions in 20 Indian
states/ UTs. He has mentored 6 students during summers under the joint scheme of the three top science academies of India viz. INSA, IASc and NASc. He has been a reviewer for 5 research journals, books for several institutions and PhD examiner for 6
universities. Dr. Nautiyal is also an expert in English-Hindi, Hindi-English translation. He has translated several TV scripts on science as well as a book among others. He is on
guest faculty of National Translation Mission.
But, in addition, he has also earned respect as an accomplished science communicator with many lectures, science-based poems, articles,
chapters and fiction to credit and having trained several thousand aspirant science communicators/ journalists through his about 200 lectures in over 60 workshops in many states. He
has also published an invited chapter in an encyclopaedia on S&T communication published by Sage, USA in addition to papers in Jour. Sci. Com (Italy); Indian Jour. Media Studies and Ind. J. Sci. Com. as
well as chapters in Indian books and proceedings on science communication. He has also been involved in curriculum development and study material for science communication. He
is widely respected for expertise in science communication and its teaching and has been invited to programmes in South Africa, Germany for lectures with full support.
Dr. Nautiyal earned many awards/ recognition
- The most prestigious award for young Indian scientists
(up to 35 yr) viz. INSA medal for Young Scientists-88 for his 'outstanding contribution to Physical Sciences'.
- US$1600 international Travel Award from the Meteoritical
Soc., USA (1984)
- Prize for best poster paper (with co-author) from Indian Soc for Mass spectrometry (1988)
Ratna' from Distt. Science Club, Meerut (2002)
- 'Vigyan Jyoti' at Sagar Instt. Management & Technology, by Barabanki CSC (2008)
- Medal for Highest consultancy-earning at BSIP (2007-2008)
- Honour from the hands of then
Chief Minister of HP (2011)
- The Radiocarbon lab under headship, received BSIP Medal for earning highest consultancy (2013)
- Prize for best poster papers (with co-authors) from Palaeobotanical Society (2014)
- Paper (co-authored)
of the Month Award from BSIP (2014)
- 'Prabhashree' Samman from the hands of Hon. Governor, UP (2015)
by CSIR-NBRI, Lucknow for achievements in research & popularising science (2016).
- Honoured with 'Brahman Gaurav Samman' by Pragatisheel Brahman Utthan Samiti, Lucknow
for contribution to science (2018)
In Science Communication/ Popularisation & others
- The title of 'Vigyan Vachaspai' (1997) by Vigyan Parishad, Prayag
- Honoured by CSIR-CIMAP for Science popularisation in
- 'UP Vigyan Sancharak' by VICAS, Allahabad (2002)
- 'Vigyan Jyoti', presented by Vice-Chancellor,
UP Technical University at Sagar Instt. Tech. & Management, Barabanki (2008)
- Best Blog prize by Friends of Nuclear Energy, Mumbai (2009)
- The 'Shatabdi Samman '(Centenary Honour) by Vigyan Parishad, Prayag (2013)
- Honured by Bharateeya Bhasha Pratishthapan
Rashtreey Parishad, UP (2013)
- 'Sansthapana Vibhushan' by NCSC-UP (E) for contribution to the establishing and nurturing NCSC in UP (2017)
- Honours from science clubs of Barabanki, Dehradun
(Vigyan UDAI) and Deoria.
- 'Hindi Bhasha Vibhushan' by Shree Nathdvara Sahitya Mandal, Rajasthan (2018)
- "Dr. CV Raman Samman" by Dr. CV Raman Sci. &
Technology Foundation, Gujrat (2018)
Had the distinction of being invited for delivering prestigious lectures like
RS Chaturvedi Memorial Lecture-2020 for Indian Remote Sensing Soc. at UP-Remote Sensing Application Centre, Lucknow (Nov.3, 2020)
- Vikram Sarabhai Birth Cent. Mem. Lecture for CCS University, Meerut
- Inaugural Speech for All India Science & Maths Workshop (Aug.2, 2020)
- Science Day Lecture, Himachal
Pradesh Council for Sci.,Tech. & Env. (HIMCOSTE), Shimla (2020)
- Inaugural Lecture for IP Workshop at IET, Lucknow (2019)
Friday seminar at TIFR, Mumbai (Feb. 9, 2019)
- Invited lecture during Science Congress at Imphal in Science Communicators' Meet-2018
Srivastava Memorial Lecture, Vigyan Parishad, Prayagraj (2016)
- M'me Curie Mem. Lecture, at SLIET, Sangroor (2013)
Day Chief Speaker at IRDE, Dehradun and Vigyan Dham (UCoST, Dehradun 2010)
- Hindi Divas lecture at Hindi Sansthan (2018)
- Hindi Divas
Lecture at NRLC (2017)
- Hindi Divas lecture at Doordarshan, Lucknow
- Hindi Divas lecture at CIMAP,
- Hindi Divas lecture at irecorate Sugarcane Development, Lucknow,
- Hindi Divas lecture, Dir. Handicraft
- Hindi Divas lecture, KRIBHCO-Lucknow
- Invited lecture during conference at CSIR-IITR
- Hindi Divas Conclusion Lecture at Lalit Kala Akademi, Lucknow
- Four Innovation Day lectures; one International IPR Day Lecture and TIFAC seminar on TechVision2015 at UP-CST-2018
- Key Note lectures during 2 Uttarakhand Sc&T Council
- Nat. Technology Day (2020), Science Day, Ozone Day, World Environment Day ), World Museum Day lectures at Regional Science City, Lucknow
invited lectures at CSIR-Nat. Metallurgical Lab., Jamshedpur in a conference on Metallurgy (Oct. 13, 14th, 2014)
- Special Lecture at MP Council of of S&T, Bhopal
- World Water Conservation Day Lecture at Ramswaroop E&T College, Lucknow
- Delivered over a dozen INSPIRE lectures in UP, Haryana, Rajasthan.
- Hindi Pakhwada Valedictory speeches and Chief Guest's, Chairperson's speeches, Key Note Lectures and similar lectures in many institution all over India.
about 200 lecture in science communication/ journalism workshops by NCSTC-DST (GoI); Vigyan Prasar; Vigyan Parishad and others in about 20 states.
- He has been guest faculty at Indo Swiss Workshkp at JNU,
New Delhi; UP Aca. Adm. & Manag., Lucknow; HRDC, Univ. of Lucknow; NRLC-Lucknow and Adarsh Pareeksha Prashishan Kendra-UP (Lucknow), Nat. Translation Mission, Mysore, in several workshops by Commission for Scientific & Technology Terminilogy
He has been associated with science activities of a number of govt. and other prestigious schools/
institutions like Navoday Vidyalay, KVS, SCERT, La Martniere School and RSC (NCSM); Distt. Science Clubs of Aligarh, Barabanki, Deoria, Gorakhpur, Kushinagar, Lucknow, Maharajganj, Meerut, and societies including NGOs and guided or even helped several
as adviser for science activities/ in getting established (Breakthrough Science Soc., Lucknow; ISCoS; PAHAL; NCSC-UP & Uttarakhand; Prithvi Innovations; UDAI, Dehradun and VICAS, Allahabad) and helped colleges and schools. He is a member, Managing
Committee, Seth MR Jaipuria College, and Indus Valley School, Lucknow.
He is a popular science broadcaster (Hindi, English and Garhwali) having appeared on many TV (DD-UP, DD-National, Star News, DD Science, RSTV, K-channel, News Nation, P7, E-TV, Sahara Samay, Zee Raj, Zee Hindustan, ...),
and radio broadcasts (Lucknow, Bengaluru, Radiociti, Delhi, Delhi National, Nazibabad, Pune, Rainbow FM, S Africa's Sun radio, Shimla,...) with active role in over 200 science-related programmes including the popular 10-episode serial Ambar me Barat,
feature, interviews, discussion, songs etc. and is known for live broadcasts of events like first such live telecast of any celestial event in India- Total Solar Eclipse-1995, several partial solar eclipses; Science Train-2004 as well as
Venus Transit-2005 and Lunar Eclipses of 2018/2020 (Zee Hindustan, K-Channel, News18 and Zee Rajasthan) Chandrayaan, BSIP (DD,1996), Planets (1991) as well as on Superstitious sacrifice (E-TV).
He has delivered about 850 lectures in all (of these about
200 related to science communication) to a wide spectrum of audience from school/ college/ university students to university faculty (in UGC Human Resource Development Centres), scientists, civil services officers, civil services aspirants, and banking professionals
on science subjects like Disasters, Environment, Climate, dating, Isotopes & Earth & Planetary Science, Dating in Archaology, possibility of ET and Energy Sources. He has also anchored many programmes attended by distinguished
personalities like Hon. Past President, Hon. Governors and central and state ministers, Bharat Ratna- and many Padma- and Magsaysay- awardees adding to the sheen of these functions to
He has been or still is in
many academic/ selection/ award committees of central and state govt. organisations and universities.
- Chairman, Young Scientists’ Scheme, UP-CST (2016-2018)
- Member, Engg. Students' Project Selection Committee of UP-CST (2018, 2019)
- Member, Board
of Studies of CCS Meerut University (2016- )
- Coordinator, Rock Art Documentation Committee for UP (2014- )
- Chairman or member, 3 Staff (scientific & technical/ Administrative) selection committees, UP-CST (2016)
- Member, ISRO Discussion committee on experiment of microbes in atmosphere, Pune (2016)
- Member, Project Evaluation Committee of Inter University Accelerator Centre (UGC), New Delhi (2016-)
- Member, a CSIR examination-related committees (2015 onwards)
- Member of the Nat. Committee on Arch. Science by Arch. Survey of India (2010-2012)
- Member, educational and technical staff
selection committee of the Regional Science Centre, Lucknow (various occasions since 2007)
- Various screening and selection committees for technical
staff selection and technical bid evaluation at BSIP (2005- 2013)
- Chairman, State Coordinator evaluation panel for
NCSC-2015 at Chandigarh University)
- Member, Award Committee for Hindi, Hindi Sansthan (2013, 14 and 2016)
- Book reviewer for Award, Hindi Sansthan (2013, 14 and 2016)
- Member, State Coordination Evaluation committee by NCSTC (DST) at Ahmedabad (2011)
- Project Evaluation Committee by S&T Council, Uttarakhand
- Book reviewer for a Hindi Book Award committees of DST (2007)
- Project Evaluation Committee by S&T Councils of UP (2004-2005)
- He has served as subject-expert for NCSTC (DST); Vigyan Prasar; HBCSE; NIOS, Vigyan Parishad, UNICEF-UP as well as several state S&T Councils for science communication.
- A Convener of a session in Face to Face, India International Science Festival-2018
- Chairperson, NCSC-UP (E) since 2019
addition, Dr. Nautiyal has lectured at/ presented papers in conferences at universities like Allahabad, AMU, Andhra, Anna, Doon, Eternal (HP), Gorakhpur, Indore, KMCUAF, Jabalpur, Jaipur, Jamia Milia, JNU, Lucknow, MAANU, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pacific
(Raj.), Pondichery Rajasthan, Roorkee, UPES, and at many institutions of AEC, CSIR, DRDO, DST, ICAR, Mines. He has been invited for training workshops & refresher courses by many organisations/ institutions/
universities and professional societies on environment, energy, dating, climate change, evolution of earth & planets, life in the universe, innovation, science communication through various media, science film scripting, translation etc.
He has demostrated versatile organising capabilities
- Convener, International Conf. on Climate Change & Geo Hydrology (2012)
- In Secretariat, for
Indo-China Conf. by BSIP ( 2008 )
organising committees, International Conf. as well as a workshop by MRSI/ University of Lucknow (2006)
organising committees, Conf. on Material Science by BBAU, Lucknow (2013)
- In Tech. Committees of Uttakhand S&T Conferences (2009, 2011, 2016)
organising committee, conference by 'Ind. Soc. Earthscientists' on 'Climate Change' (2012)
- In organising committee-'Climate Change- A Whisper of Nature' by Club of Lucknow (2014)
- Convener of the Media committee for International
conference on 'Quaternary Climate Changes' by BSIP (2014) and many other conferencs at BSIP over 2 decades.
Coordinator, Rock Art Documentation (UP), organised 3 workshops at Lucknow and Sonbhadra (2014, 2015, 2016)
- As Coordinator, Rock Art Documentation (UP), organised an
He has also impacted the science
popularisation scenaio at national as well as local level in creative and organising roles, both:
- Principal Investigator for NCSC National Workshop-1994
- National Academic Coordinator, NCSC-1999 and 2000
- Convener of NCSTC Network 2001- 2002 (with Prof. Yash
Pal, Padma Vibhushan as President)
- Coordinator of Science for School Children session (during
- Coordinator, Science Popularisation Regional Training
workshop of Prasar Bharti
- National Coordinator, NCSC-2003- the biggest science activity
for Indian children
- UP-CST committee for the Year of Scientific Awareness (2004-5)
- Principal Investigator, The Public Lectures on Science (by Prof. CNR Rao, now Bharat Ratna; Dr. RA Mashelkar, now Padma
Vibhushan, & Prof. M Vijayan, Padmashree at Lucknow University (2006)
- Edited the Lecture
Notes as well as prepared the AV documentation of lectures by by Prof. CNR Rao, now Bharat Ratna; Dr. RA Mashelkar, now Padma Vibhushan, & Prof. M Vijayan, Padmashree(2006)
- Expert for DST's INSPIRE programme in 6 campuses of universities.
- Been on the panel of NCSTC DST, Vigyan Prasar, UP-CST, Regional Science City, Distt. Science Club, Lucknow for science communication
- Have been a regular talker at Prasar Bharti (Lucknow) and featured in national broadcasts also since 1990
- Been a popular talker/ script writer/ commentator and also anchor with Lucknow Doordarshan since 1991.
- Has been part of jury of over 50 science project/ model competitions of international,
national, regional and city levels including the prestigious IRIS by Intel held at IIT-D and NCSC by NCSTC (DST).
- Media Coordinator for India International Science Festival-2016 at CSIR-NPL, New Delhi.
Face to Facc session; Expert in Science Village, panelist and Chairperson of sessions in Literary and Film Festival during IISF-2018
executive committee posts in several science communication & other organisations like
- The Society of Earth
scientists (National Committee during 2009-2012)
- PRL Alumni Assocn. (2011-2013)
- UP Assocn. Advancement of Sci. (2011-2013)
- Bahya Antarangi, Vigyan
Parishad, Prayag (for 8 years)
- Member, LAC , Regional Science City, Lucknow (2012-2016, 2019-)
- Member, Science Expo committees of Regional Science City (since inception in 2009), Lucknow and as jury in several of
its City Science fairs, competitions.
- Vice-President, Bharatiya Bhasha Pratishthapan Parishad, UP (2013- )
- Member, National Sceening Committee, National Science Film Festival 2015
- Member, Jury, National Science Film Festival 2015 (Lucknow) and 2018 (Guwahati)
Coordinator, India International Science Festival-2016 at NPL, New Delhi (Dec. 7-12, 2016)
- Convener, Face to Face session, IISF2018, Lucknow
Fellowships & Memberships
- Fellow of NCSTC Network, New Delhi
- Fellow of The Geol. Soc. India, Bengaluru
- Fellow of The Soc. of Earthscientists,
- Life Member of about a dozen societies/ associations including American Assocn. for Advancement of Science
(USA) and PCST-Network, Australia and Corr. Member, PALCOM, Switzeland.
has been on the forefront of promoting scientific temper and was instrumental in dispelling the Muhnochwa menace in Sitapur (2007). He is frequently invited to share views on such issues
by various channels. He has widely lectured on scientific temper, Creativity and Innovation. His other hobbies include photography (several prizes: 4 from PRL Photo. Club, 1 from Meerut Camera Club and 1 from Lucknow Times), music and literature.
He has published cartoons in a national daily and magazines.
He is married (wife is Principal of a school) and has 2 daughters who are software engineer and management professional with reputed firms.
In addition to the research, Dr. Chandra Mohan Nautiyal shouldered many administrative and other, creative, responsibilities at Birbal Sahni Institute
of Palaeobotany/ Palaeosciences, Lucknow (Under Ministry of Science & Technology, New Delhi),
from where he superannuated in July 2016 as scientist-F and Scientist-in-Charge of the Radiocarbon Laboratory. He was Vigilance Officer for 2 terms, as an additional charge, during 2009-2014; Convener/ Member Secy. of the Official
Language Committee for about 15 years; Convener of the Auditorium and Audio-visual committee as well as Media Committee for about 15 and 20 years respectively. in addition, he was member of many committees like SEM, Museum, Innovation, Purchase
and several screening and/or selection committees.
He also coordinated many functions and was compe're for most of the functions at Institute for over a dozen years. He also
coordinated 7 exhibitions in Shillong, Sultanpur, New Delhi and Lucknow for the Institute.
In the new phase, post superannuation, he continues his academic,
educational and research activities as researcher (8 papers), writer/ broadcaster, part of bodies of CST-UP, IGNCA, IUAC, NRLC, some universities and other institutions. He is involved in communicating science through media and lectures, chairmanship/ membership of committees; writing articles, books, TV/ radio programme; and broadcasting/
telecasting, and education management.